Hot topic johnson city tn
2020.09.28 06:36 filmburrito JohnsonCityTN
The Reddit Community page for all things in the Johnson City, TN, and surrounding areas. Stay friendly, stay informative. Advice and recommendations welcome, a home for collaborations and creative space. No bullying, hate, or bad vibes!
2011.08.04 02:00 Check out any time you like, but you can never leave
2022.04.25 06:16 BitterSeries6250 DigitalMarketing__
Johnson City, TN Digital Marketing Agency: SEO Services
2023.03.24 08:04 Balajii001 Wedding Flower Decorators In Raipur
2023.03.24 08:01 Balajii001 Wedding Flower Decorators In Durg
2023.03.24 08:00 wrappedinplastic79 Hot Topic Round 2
Someone just asked for suggestions of the hardest bands so they can patch up their battlevest. In these days of internet convenience the posers will be nearly indistinguishable from the real ones.
I remember when you had to find bands for yourself and actually listen to them and figure out if they were good or not. I fucking hate it here and also GTF off my lawn. Thanks
submitted by wrappedinplastic79
to punk [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 08:00 jobautomator Discussion Thread
The discussion thread
is for casual and off-topic conversation that doesn't merit its own submission. If you've got a good meme, article, or question, please post it outside the DT
. Meta discussion is allowed, but if you want to get the attention of the mods, make a post in /metaNL
. For a collection of useful links see our wiki
or our website
- We now have a mastodon server
- You can now summon the sidebar by writing "!sidebar" in a comment (example)
- New Ping Groups: ET-AL (science shitposting), CAN-BC, MAC, HOT-TEA (US House of Reps.), BAD-HISTORY, ROWIST
- On March 31st, the Center For New Liberalism, alongside New Democracy and Grow SF, will be coming to San Francisco to host the first conference in our New Liberal Action Summit series! Info and registration here
submitted by jobautomator
to neoliberal [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:57 ivy-LPI Global GPhototransistor Optocouplers Market Analysis (2023-2029)
LPI (LP Information)' newest research report, the “PTZ Dome Cameras Mount Industry Forecast” looks at past sales and reviews total world PTZ Dome Cameras Mount sales in 2022, providing a comprehensive analysis by region and market sector of projected PTZ Dome Cameras Mount sales for 2023 through 2029. With PTZ Dome Cameras Mount sales broken down by region, market sector and sub-sector, this report provides a detailed analysis in US$ millions of the world PTZ Dome Cameras Mount industry.
This Insight Report provides a comprehensive analysis of the global PTZ Dome Cameras Mount landscape and highlights key trends related to product segmentation, company formation, revenue, and market share, latest development, and M&A activity. This report also analyzes the strategies of leading global companies with a focus on PTZ Dome Cameras Mount portfolios and capabilities, market entry strategies, market positions, and geographic footprints, to better understand these firms' unique position in an accelerating global PTZ Dome Cameras Mount market.
This Insight Report evaluates the key market trends, drivers, and affecting factors shaping the global outlook for PTZ Dome Cameras Mount and breaks down the forecast by type, by application, geography, and market size to highlight emerging pockets of opportunity. With a transparent methodology based on hundreds of bottom-up qualitative and quantitative market inputs, this study forecast offers a highly nuanced view of the current state and future trajectory in the global PTZ Dome Cameras Mount .
This report presents a comprehensive overview, market shares, and growth opportunities of PTZ Dome Cameras Mount market by product type, application, key manufacturers and key regions and countries. https://www.lpinformationdata.com/reports/617247/ptz-dome-cameras-mount-2029 The main participants
Axis Communications Segmentation by type
2 Metal Fasteners
3 Metal Fasteners
Others Segmentation by application
Residential Key Questions Addressed in this Report
What is the 10-year outlook for the global PTZ Dome Cameras Mount market?
What factors are driving PTZ Dome Cameras Mount market growth, globally and by region?
Which technologies are poised for the fastest growth by market and region?
How do PTZ Dome Cameras Mount market opportunities vary by end market size?
How does PTZ Dome Cameras Mount break out type, application?
What are the influences of COVID-19 and Russia-Ukraine war? LP INFORMATION (LPI)
is a professional market report publisher based in America, providing high quality market research reports with competitive prices to help decision makers make informed decisions and take strategic actions to achieve excellent outcomes.We have an extensive library of reports on hundreds of technologies.Search for a specific term, or click on an industry to browse our reports by subject. Narrow down your results using our filters or sort by what’s important to you, such as publication date, price, or name.
E-mail: [email protected]
Add: 17890 Castleton St. Suite 369 City of Industry, CA 91748 US
submitted by ivy-LPI
to u/ivy-LPI [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:50 AutoModerator [Get] Dan Wardrope – The Pay Per Lead Agency Blueprint 3.0 – Download Instant Delivery
| || | submitted by AutoModerator to CoursesOf2023 [link] [comments]
Get the course here: https://www.genkicourses.com/product/dan-wardrope-the-pay-per-lead-agency-blueprint-3-0/ [Get] Dan Wardrope – The Pay Per Lead Agency Blueprint 3.0 – Download Instant Delivery https://preview.redd.it/byeqq5ojm3pa1.jpg?width=510&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=244af6093498fd5c079cb4da57073c28ab5f97e6 The Pay Per Lead Agency Blueprint 3.0
In Just 6 Weeks, We’ll Show You How To Grow And Scale Your Pay Per Lead Agency
What You Get in The Pay Per Lead Agency Blueprint 3.0:
Week 1 – Lay The Foundations and Get Started
First and foremost, we’ll go over your goals for The Pay Per Lead Agency Blueprint as well as some general housekeeping.
Please don’t skip the housekeeping! It includes important information about the Mastermind community as well as the weekly Q&A calls.
We’ll also go over some “ground rules” for course participation. If you follow these guidelines, you should have no problems.
Week 2 – Landing a Client and Know Thy Customer
This week is all about selling and understanding your niche/offer.
It’s time to get to know your niche and its target audience inside and out. Here are some of the topics we’ll discuss:
- Building your agency website
- LinkedIn and Facebook organic outreach
- Direct mail outreach
- Paid advertising
- Cold email
- Closing the deal and how to get paid
- Knowing your offer
- Customer Avatars and Empathy Maps
- How to gather and assess the market
Week 3 – Building Your Lead Generation Funnels
This week will focus on three major topics:
- Lead delivery
Week three also delves into copywriting. As previously stated, this includes writing hooks and longer-form content such as advertorials. Here’s a complete list of the topics we’ll cover:
- Lead gen versus 1-2-1 selling
- Different ways to generate leads with Unbounce
- Spitballing and figuring out your hooks
- Building a quiz
- GTM basics and HotJar
- Our different funnels – dummy car finance campaign
- How to embed a LeadsHook quiz and pull through data to a results page
- Writing an advertorial
- Lead capture and lead distribution
- Privacy Policies, cookies and GDPR
- Unbounce tips and tricks
- Data validation
Week 4 – Paid Advertising and Getting Started
It’s now time to start running ads, generating leads, and making money.
In this module, we’ll cover:
- Where to start
- Facebook ads
- YouTube ads
- Twitter ads
Week 5 – Advanced Lead Generation
This week will be more difficult. We’ll walk you through everything step by step so you can follow along easily.
Week 6 – Growing Your Agency
This is the course’s final module, and it teaches you how to scale your agency.
2023.03.24 07:50 zarnies recently bought this, is it authentic??
2023.03.24 07:50 ruKawin Friday, 24th March 2023
| || |This edition of The Daily Spin was published On-Chain via Mirror.xyz and can be collected at: https://mirror.xyz/rukawin.eth/Nx9ZMAR2C_CE_YfAKbPSkpLzfiFeLL8rqvL66zq-QIU submitted by ruKawin to CoinwebDailySpin [link] [comments]
The Daily Spin. Fractal Friday Edition.
Arbitrum airdrops 1.2B ARB tokens into the crypto markets. Coinbase stands their ground against the SEC, moves select staking products on-chain. Uphold folds like Kraken did and shuts down staking products. Justin Sun gets hit with a subpoena. Do Kwon was arrested in Montenegro, and is being charged with 11 counts by the NY Attorney General’s office. It is unclear whether the US had a hand in making the apprehension, but the extradition seems to be swiftly underway.
Litecoin surges 9% to near pre-Terra level prices. Solana TVL shoots past BNB and Avalanche. Magic Eden launches gaming platform. Yesports launches a bigger web3 gaming platform along with 40 partners. StormGain DEX launches user-friendly DeFi platform. Bitkeep raises $30M from BitGet to develop their multi-chain wallet solution; Celer Network announces expanded support for OmniSwap, a cross-chain DeFi platform; Sovryn introduces a “Bitcoin Dollar” to combat centralized stablecoins. UAE releases the Digital Dirham CBDC, Centi launches a CHF Stablecoin backed by the Swiss Central Bank – here is a real-time map of what’s going on in the world’s CBDC arena: https://cbdctracker.org/
Bitcoin liquidity is drying up, the mempool is uncharacteristically large, and USDT dominance grows to over 60%; fundamentals are shifting. A lot of controversy in the US, and the new section covering corporate socialist agenda holds its own and continues to be a new category, even though I only meant for it to be temporary… here is our round-up of curated news and opinions (surely biased) from the world of Blockchain, keeping you informed into the market news with the most trending, in-the-know, and controversial topics. In the name of transparent, dissemination of information to keep you curious, inspired, and clinically sane… Ongoings at Coinweb Coinweb’s Layer 2 marks 4 million transactions milestone https://twitter.com/CoinwebOfficial/status/1638125472814092291?s=20 Coinweb Partners With Ceffu for Institutional Crypto Custody https://www.ceffu.com/blog/coinweb-partners-with-ceffu-for-institutional-crypto-custody?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=organic_social&utm_campaign=cweb0321 Coinweb’s Fireside Chat Series, digitALL: Innovation and Technology for Gender Equality https://twitter.com/CoinwebOfficial/status/1636676933361745920?s=20 “A Thread on Refereed Delegation of Computation”
by Kawin on Twitter https://twitter.com/CoinwebOfficial/status/1635952081302589441?s=20 Coinweb to bring cross-chain tokenisation to Layer 2 https://cryptoslate.com/coinweb-to-bring-cross-chain-tokenisation-to-layer-2/ “A Thread on L2 Scalability, Network Efficiency and Throughput/TPS”
by Anton on Twitter https://twitter.com/CoinwebOfficial/status/1633424957693915137 The Coinweb Monthly Spin - Coinweb Project's Monthly Round-Up and Curated News & Events From The Bleeding Edge of All Things Web3 https://coinweb.beehiiv.com/p/coinweb-monthly-spin-fifth-edition A Leading Layer 2 Platform Looking To Tackle Crypto's Interoperability Issue https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cryptocurrency/23/02/31067514/a-leading-layer-2-platform-looking-to-tackle-cryptos-interoperability-issue “The Reality of Large-scale Enterprises Adopting Blockchain Technology”
an article by Toby Gilbert for CityAM Magazine https://www.cityam.com/the-reality-of-large-scale-enterprises-adopting-blockchain-technology/ Coinweb Labs is proud to unveil LinkMint ⛓️🍃, our groundbreaking Cross-Chain Tokenisation Platform and DeconX, our integrated native DEX!
Live Walkthrough Demonstration for the Community by Toby, Knut, and Alexander. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSKA3cAB15U “A Thread on Guaranteed Liveness and the Coinweb Routing System”
by Anton on Twitter https://twitter.com/CoinwebOfficial/status/1630052477579169793?s=20 “A Thread on Rollups, Monolithic, and Modular Blockchains”
by Kawin on Twitter https://twitter.com/rukawin/status/1616342851507613696?s=46&t=BjBOK3soH3kOMbsWEa_jlg Coinweb to Deliver Cross-Chain Smart Contract Architecture and Blockchain Loyalty Programme to BMW https://cryptoslate.com/bmw-to-bring-blockchain-loyalty-program-through-coinweb-and-bnb-chain/ KuCoin Labs launches incubation program to accelerate builders (Coinweb, DoraHacks, Ava Labs) https://cointelegraph.com/press-releases/kucoin-labs-launches-incubation-program-to-accelerate-builders Toby’s full presentation at Token2049-London https://youtu.be/pdtKx3vAs9c
On the Radar
Polygon zkEVM Launch, Mar 27 (On-chain) WOW Summit, Mar 29-30 (Hong Kong) ASEAN Web3 Summit, Mar 30-31 (Singapore) Ethereum Shanghai-Capella Upgrade, Apr 12 (On-chain)
Hong Kong Web3 Festival, Apr 12-15 (Wan Chai, Hong Kong) Consensus 2023, Apr 26-28 (Austin, Texas)
Web3 Weekend, May 8-13 (Jakarta)
AIBC Asia, Jul 19-22 (Manila) TOKEN2049, Sep 13-14 (Singapore) Blockchain Events curated by CryptoNomad https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KtyFTb_W282bQ1xoVA5rlTwTDz3QfhswWIVpXhpbQIc/edit
On the Block(chain)
Bitcoin liquidity situation worsening; volatility expected to be enhanced https://cryptoslate.com/insights/bitcoin-liquidity-situation-worsening-volatility-expected-to-be-enhanced/
Bitcoin, mempool explodes; not Ordinals driven https://cryptoslate.com/insights/bitcoin-mempool-explodes-not-ordinals-driven/
Coinbase moves to on-chain staking for Tezos, Cosmos, Solana, and Cardano https://cryptoslate.com/coinbase-moves-to-on-chain-staking-for-tezos-cosmos-solana-and-cardano/
FTX plans to sell stake in Mysten Labs for $96M https://cryptoslate.com/ftx-plans-to-sell-stake-in-mysten-labs-for-96m/
Do Kwon Charged With Fraud by US Prosecutors in New York https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-23/do-kwon-charged-with-fraud-by-us-prosecutors-in-new-york
Sovryn Introduces Decentralized Bitcoin-Backed Sovryn Dollar To Combat Centralized Stablecoins https://dailyhodl.com/2023/03/16/sovryn-introduces-decentralized-bitcoin-backed-sovryn-dollar-to-combat-centralized-stablecoins-tweak/
Litecoin (LTC) price surges over 9%, pre-terra highs in sight https://crypto.news/litecoin-ltc-price-surges-over-9-pre-terra-highs-in-sight/
Arbitrum network activity booms ahead of airdrop https://cryptoslate.com/arbitrum-network-activity-booms-ahead-of-airdrop/
Over 300M Arbitrum ARB tokens claimed; price plunges 90% https://cryptoslate.com/over-300m-arbitrum-arb-tokens-claimed-price-plunges-90/
Magic Eden eyes growth in web3 gaming following launch of Magic Eden Games https://cryptoslate.com/magic-eden-eyes-growth-in-web3-gaming-following-launch-of-magic-eden-games/
USDT dominance exceeds 60% – fundamentals for stablecoins declining at rapid rates https://cryptoslate.com/insights/usdt-dominance-exceeds-60-fundamentals-for-stablecoins-declining-at-rapid-rates/
StormGain Launches StormGain DEX for User-Friendly Decentralized Crypto Trading https://cryptoslate.com/press-releases/stormgain-launches-stormgain-dex-for-user-friendly-decentralized-crypto-trading/
Yesports Launches the Largest Esports Marketplace for Gaming Expansion Into Web3 Alongside 40+ Partners https://dailyhodl.com/2023/03/21/yesports-launches-the-largest-esports-marketplace-for-gaming-expansion-into-web3-alongside-40-partners/
Multichain Wallet Bitkeep Raises $30 Million From Bitget to Strengthen Links Between Defi and Cefi https://news.bitcoin.com/multichain-wallet-bitkeep-raises-30-million-from-bitget-to-strengthen-links-between-defi-and-cefi/?utm_source=OneSignalPush&utm_medium=notification&utm_campaign=PushNotifications
Celer announces expanded support for OmniBTC's OmniSwap, a cross-chain DeFi platform https://twitter.com/celernetwork/status/1638692038978965504?s=46&t=d5nuVMonz8BX6y7xSWK5ag
Solana’s TVL growth shoots past Avalanche and BNB https://crypto.news/solanas-tvl-growth-shoots-past-avalanche-and-bnb/
US. Coordinated Regulation Failures
SEC issues investor alert over crypto investments https://cryptoslate.com/sec-issues-investor-alert-over-crypto-investments/
Coinbase’s Brian Armstrong criticizes US crypto regulation, SEC behavior in Twitter Space https://cryptoslate.com/coinbases-brian-armstrong-criticizes-us-crypto-regulation-sec-behavior-in-twitter-space/
Polygon, ex-Meta executives defend Coinbase following SEC Wells notice https://cryptoslate.com/polygon-ex-meta-executives-defend-coinbase-following-sec-wells-notice/
Uphold ends staking for US customers following SEC guidance https://cryptoslate.com/uphold-ends-staking-for-us-customers-following-sec-guidance/
Congressman Emmer introduces bill providing ‘safe harbor’ to miners, developers and wallets https://cryptoslate.com/congressman-emmer-introduces-bill-providing-safe-harbor-to-miners-developers-and-wallets/
Circle CEO says ‘aggressive regulatory actions’ on crypto caused ‘deep market anxiety’ https://cryptoslate.com/circle-ceo-says-aggressive-regulatory-actions-on-crypto-caused-deep-market-anxiety/
White House Says ‘Bitcoin Has Not Announced Plans to Adopt Proof-of-Stake’ in Wild Economic Report https://dailyhodl.com/2023/03/22/white-house-says-bitcoin-has-not-announced-plans-to-adopt-proof-of-stake-in-wild-economic-report/
Credit Suisse, UBS Among Banks Facing DOJ Russia-Sanctions Probe https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-23/credit-suisse-ubs-among-banks-facing-doj-russia-sanctions-probe
Five Key Moments From TikTok CEO’s Combative Hearing in Congress https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-23/five-key-moments-from-tiktok-ceo-s-combative-hearing-in-congress
SEC vs. Justin Sun https://www.docdroid.net/owTRUU3/justin-pdf
Centi launches CHF stablecoin backed 1:1 by a Swiss bank https://cryptoslate.com/centi-launches-chf-stablecoin-backed-11-by-a-swiss-bank/
Toshiba Accepts $15 Billion Buyout Offer from JIP, Nikkei Says https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-23/toshiba-accepts-15-billion-buyout-offer-from-jip-nikkei-says
New Feature Enables Nigerian Metamask Wallet Users to Buy Crypto Assets Within the App https://news.bitcoin.com/new-feature-enables-nigerian-metamask-wallet-users-to-buy-crypto-assets-within-the-app/?utm_source=OneSignalPush&utm_medium=notification&utm_campaign=PushNotifications
German Government Invests $1.2 Million in Metaverse Startup Flying Sheep Studios https://news.bitcoin.com/german-government-invests-1-2-million-in-metaverse-startup-flying-sheep-studios/?utm_source=OneSignalPush&utm_medium=notification&utm_campaign=PushNotifications
UAE Central Bank launches its 'Digital Dirham' CBDC strategy https://twitter.com/watcherguru/status/1638860184821825538?s=46&t=d5nuVMonz8BX6y7xSWK5ag
Op-ed: The unspoken Ethereum revolution: Are EOAs becoming obsolete? https://cryptoslate.com/op-ed-the-unspoken-ethereum-revolution-are-eoas-becoming-obsolete/
How “Payment Banks” Could Prevent the Next Bank Collapse https://hbr.org/2023/03/how-payment-banks-could-prevent-the-next-bank-collapse
Attacks on CBDCs highlight crypto’s new battleground https://www.dlnews.com/articles/defi/cbdc-republican-white-house-fna-r3-digital-dollar-federal-reserve/
A Mega Deep Dive into Stablecoins and LiquityProtocol's $LUSD https://twitter.com/0xsurferboy/status/1636306346567151616?s=20
Volcker Slayed Inflation. Bernanke Saved the Banks. Can Powell Do Both? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2023-03-23/will-there-be-a-recession-depends-on-inflation-banking-crisis
2023.03.24 07:49 ravespiderman Need help figuring someone out (M20) (F20)
I’m M20 she’s F20 , Okay so this isn’t a relationship but it’s talking stage and I can’t figure her out (I know it’s relationship advice but I needed someone to ask and have no one to turn to for this)
We have had great deep convos and we’re gonna meet up after two days of talking, I expressed I wanted to and she was completely on bord with us figuring out a plan, what to do, when etc. The night before she had to go to another city about 40min drive away to help a friends store and let me know that it might not work and she would let me know in the morning , (side note in our first deep convo which was many topics and like 2 hours constant she states she would never just randomly ghost when I said something about thinking she wasn’t going to reply)
she never did lmk in the morning but I texted early just saying no worries all good , focus on what you have to do. That didn’t phase me to much because no text let me know. From there I wait the whole day with no texts so I send a text asking about shows to watch and we have another great talk , lots of fun and at the end before we say Goodnight she apologized for the “late reply” which was meant about the text in the morning but it was me who texted first lol. Anyways she says we should plan something for when we are both free and she still wants to do what we originally planned.
So once again I tell her I understand she’s very busy and of course we will do something.
Next day we have one short chat I initiated and the last text was not responded to so the next day I ask about the days she’s free and back in the city (note she lives in the other city about 40min away and has a job and school) but she says yeah she will let me know at least a day before and also sounds excited to figure out a new plan
Come today I send one thing just about something in my life about mid day and get a response, I send another text and just nothing
I’m kinda just lost because on one hand I’m seeing good but on the other I’m not sure. I’ve been in a situation like this earlier this year and it sucks when you think it’s going great and it really is but then it just goes away.
I want to send a text tomorrow night just asking like where do we stand while also saying I understand she’s busy with life a lot and know everyone is different when it comes to texting but would rather figure out straight up rather then have it just slowly become nothing
submitted by ravespiderman
to relationship_advice [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:49 Fictionarious No, honestly considering (and/or advocating for) filicide/infanticide is not "off-topic" to the Abortion Debate:
I'm going to just make this a post, so that I may reference/link it in the future as needed (and so that it may draw the attention, now, of whatever moderators this discussion may or may not interest).
I've been participating in this sub for awhile. I offer some opinions that rub people's amygdala the right way, some that rub it the wrong way, and it's usually pretty easy for me to predict on that basis which will result in a return of upvotes or downvotes (getting the ol' frontal cortex to intervene beforehand is another story, of course). I don't really care about my internet points, so I'm fine in either case. Go ahead, hit that downvote button - I don't care!
What I'm beginning to care a bit more about is: overtly ad baculum arguments put forth with the intent (or simply, the probable effect) of limiting the necessary scope
of this discussion. Now, I do know better than to accuse anyone of having nefarious intent, with 100% confidence. Regardless of whether that intent is ultimately present, however, putting forth this kind of fallacy (and having it be popularly accepted) will have a chilling/censorious effect, and it is consequently highly problematic
Yes, my contention is that being allowed to consider the morality/legality of filicide/infanticide is within the necessary scope of any good-faith discussion about abortion. Why?
To convincingly answer this question, let's answer another:
Why is abortion being debated in the first place?
Abortion is quite the hot-button issue, and some of us certainly don't see why it should be. Shouldn't it be self-evident
that our own preexisting beliefs are all that should really matter? There shouldn't even need to be a debate!
Regardless, the debate persists. It persists because of all the differing presuppositions and motivations brought into it by those that stand to be affected by any given conclusion on the matter (which is, broadly speaking, all of society).
Some of us have the very reasonable motivation of not wanting to be forced, by law, into remaining pregnant for no good/sufficient reason, on the presupposition(s) that:
- ZEFs do not merit the same protections as newborn babies or young children because of missing innate qualities/capacities they have yet to develop. And/Or, (!)
- ZEFs do not merit the same protections as newborn babies or young children because they're actively threatening the health/autonomy of the pregnant person gestating them, regardless of whatever innate qualities/capacities they might presently possess.
Others of us have the very reasonable motivation of not wanting it to be legal to kill certain classes/categories of people, on the presupposition that ZEFs do, in fact, exist in the same general moral category as newborn babies and/or young children, and shouldn't be killed for the same reasons (shared humanity, future like ours, etc).
Ok, those are understandable motivations. But notice that there were actually two entirely distinct
presuppositions (or, justifications) that might be accounting for why someone might decide to label themselves "pro-choice", and sincerely support/defend the right to abort.
Clearly, it is unambiguously not
outside of the scope of this topic to independently consider the qualia
of the conceptus, and then appeal to some measurably absent characteristic that would, in one's opinion, be a strict prerequisite for the granting of the legal protection known as "right-to-life", as a valid method of argument for the resulting permissibility of abortion. That is to say, it is not impossible that someone's decision to support abortion's morality and/or its legality is ultimately derived (perhaps, exclusively
derived) from this form of independent consideration.
Just as "viability" (theoretical ability of a conceptus to survive separated from its parent/host) and "sentience" (capacity to experience physical pain) are fetal capacities bound to be of some legitimate interest in the course of debating the morality of abortion, "self-awareness" is as well. When and to what extent do fetuses become self-aware?
Enter philosopher Peter Singer, who argues explicitly for the permissibility/legality of infanticide (up to 28 days after birth) on this very basis
From "Practical Ethics": "Human babies are not born self-aware, or capable of grasping that they exist over time. They are not persons." But animals are self-aware, and therefore, "the life of a newborn is of less value than the life of a pig, a dog, or a chimpanzee."
He isn't alone in making this argument. Mary Anne Warren
(late writer and philosophy professor) makes a similar argument
in her paper 'On the Moral and Legal Status of Abortion', and arrives at a similar conclusion: that the very same observations about the (entirely or partially absent) qualia of the conceptus in its state prior
to birth would reasonably motivate us to acknowledge that being born
, by itself, doesn't really change all that much. She writes:
One of the most troubling objections to the argument presented in this article is that it may appear to justify not only abortion but infanticide as well. A newborn infant is not a great deal more personlike than a ninemonth fetus, and thus it might seem that if late-term abortion is sometimes justified, then infanticide must also be sometimes justified. Yet most people consider that infanticide is a form of murder, and thus never justified.
While it is important to appreciate the emotional force of this objection, its logical force is far less than it may seem at first glance. There are many reasons why infanticide is much more difficult to justify than abortion, even though if my argument is correct neither constitutes the killing of a person.
Alberto Giubilini and Francesca Minerva together make the case that "the newborn and the fetus are morally equivalent" in their article, After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?
Inevitably, when I (or any of these other esteemed gentlemen-and-women) are asked to justify our support for abortion, our reasoning/argument will be
general enough to be interpreted as support for filicide/infanticide, up to a certain point. This is unavoidable (and true!), given our sincerely-held beliefs on the subject.
This brings us to the crux of the issue:
What is being "aborted", exactly, when we're "debating abortion"?
Some of the participants on this forum (who I will not name) seem to be interested in policing
the way this question can be justifiably answered. There are (grammatically speaking) two
perfectly-valid grammatical objects one might have in mind, when one is trying to discuss what is, in one's view, the object of central importance to the abortion debate.
- The ongoing life of the conceptus/child
- The pregnancy that life directly inflicts
To "abort" is a verb, which simply means "to bring to a premature end".
For debate participants primarily motivated by not remaining pregnant against their will, it is very understandable that, from their point of view, abortion
would naturally refer to aborting pregnancies.
For debate participants primarily motivated by protecting the right-to-life of unborn people, it is equally understandable that abortion
would naturally refer to aborting the life of the unborn child.
In practical terms, there is no difference. A pregnancy ends prematurely when (and only when) the life of the conceptus does, and it is subsequently flushed/extracted from the body. But in philosophical terms, there is a world of difference.
From our analysis above, of what motivates this debate to occur in the first place, we can realize the following:
If it were hypothetically possible to abort the pregnancy prematurely, without
ending the life of the child causing it, it's very likely that some respectable number of pregnant people would be doing just that. And to that extent, the impetus for having the debate would be lessened
, directly. The pro-life side would be satisfied, to the extent unborn babies are no longer being killed, and the pro-choice side would be satisfied, to the extent that pregnancies are no longer being compelled by force of law. Conversely
, we may consider the possibility of ending the life of the child, but without
necessarily ending pregnancy (leaving open the option of maintaining the pregnancy for the full nine months, as though the child were still alive). Obviously, this would be a much less chosen option. But the more important thing to realize is: here, the impetus for having the debate has not been lessened in the slightest
. The pro-life side would still
object to the killing of the entity with contested moral value, with or without the continuation of any associated pregnancy.
Therefore, object of central importance to the abortion debate - the thing that ultimately causes
the debate - is not the subjective experience of pregnancy (as arduous as that experience may be). It is the contested personhood and right-to-life of the life of the child being aborted/killed, at varying points in time
So, if we are going to be in the business of policing what can be "properly" or "rightly" considered as the "true" or "best" object of consideration here, that policing would logically run in one direction as opposed to the other. Fortunately, there is usually no pressing need to do any
policing - only to make a good-faith effort to listen and respond to what is actually being said to you
Putting it all together
Now, we have established two facts:
- That the principal object of consideration (if there is to be one) in the context of the "abortion debate" is the ongoing life and disputed personhood/right-to-life of the conceptus/child at different points in time.
- A certain fraction of the people who sincerely consider the personhood/right-to-life of the conceptus come to the conclusion that concepti should not, in fact, be regarded as persons (or as possessing a right-to-life) until some point in time well after birth (ie, a certain point in time).
From these two facts we may directly infer the necessity and relevance of considering (proposing, debating, refuting, etc) the personhood/right-to-life of the object ultimately motivating the continued existence of this debate, before or
I have heard tell that there have been conversations among the mods here as to whether my progressive stance on this issue is perhaps too
progressive. I have not been privy to these conversations, but I would like to offer this post as my general argument in favor of both being allowed to remain here, and being allowed to argue my point of view in good faith, without it being subject to removal by virtue of being "off-topic" to the debate.
I was once informed that my kind of pro-choice advocacy might "get us in trouble with the admins". Neither myself (nor any of the good company I'm in, by virtue of advocating for the legality of post-birth abortion) are promoting hate against any marginalized group, advocating illegal/extralegal activity, or any engaging in any other claimed violation of Reddit site-wide policies. Any claims to the contrary are a bad-faith attempt at silencing and dismissing the argument I am making, and should themselves be subject to removal under rule one.
Hopefully, this clarifies at least some of my position, as well as at least some of what it means to engage in good faith with opinions you do not presently hold. Thank you for reading.
submitted by Fictionarious
to Abortiondebate [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:42 rzesgt A Good Evening in Vietnam ! A HOT night with TIGHT VIETNAMESE model in HO CHI MIN CITY VIETNAM
2023.03.24 07:31 piccioneselvatico Factions Quests
I have a very quick one: I've just read Alexandrian Remix and I totally agree on one point above all... factions quests are quite lame... do you have any idea to spice them up or is there some nice add on (DM guilds or similar) or maybe a previous post on this topic here on the subreddit?
On a separate note... I really would like to fill Ank'Harel with side quests or some kind of encounters (not just occasional fights) in order to make the city feel more alive... is there some kind of resource out there?
Furthermore... due to my players backgrounds I'm working on a way to involve other factions to the main plot such as Cerberus Assembly/Voelstrucker and the Myriad as well... do you have any cool ideas to do so?
Thank you all in advance!
submitted by piccioneselvatico
to CalloftheNetherdeep [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:31 rays44 Air cooler price in Pakistan
Rays Electronics is providing best and cheap appliances before buy it is necessary to know the prices ranges like when people ask like air cooler price in Pakistan
then it becomes important to check about it. Personal air coolers
are mainly meant to be employed for personal use in small areas like bedrooms, hostel rooms, or small offices. These appliances are energy-efficient and are quieter than desert air coolers. These machines are comparatively small, compact, and portable cooling units that you could place near your bed, couch, or dining area. Usually, you could find these air coolers in water storage capacities of up to 20 litres having castor wheels for trouble-free movability. In addition to portability, the best features of these coolers include less energy use and quiet operation.
Personal air coolers:
Personal air coolers
are mainly meant to be employed for personal use in small areas like bedrooms, hostel rooms, or small offices. These appliances are energy-efficient and are quieter than desert air coolers. These machines are comparatively small, compact, and portable cooling units that you could place near your bed, couch, or dining area.
Usually, you could find these air coolers in water storage capacities of up to 20 litres having castor wheels for trouble-free movability. In addition to portability, the best features of these coolers include less energy use and quiet operation.
Desert coolers are often used for large spaces in hot & dry areas and have large tank capacity of up to 90 litres, so one does not have to bother refilling that in short intervals of time. These are ideal for restaurants, classrooms, office spaces, medium-sized rooms, large-sized rooms, and prayer halls. The coolers are perfect for dry weather conditions, so you could use these coolers even in outdoor spaces like a terrace or backyard.
Plus, the huge tank capacity, powerful pumps, and huge fans of these coolers make them suitable for long operational hours.
These coolers are slimmer versions of air coolers
that are suitable for places having space shortage.
Window coolers are particularly designed to properly fit right into the windows. These coolers are installed in open windows and therefore do not take up floor space. These appliances could be used in small to middle-sized rooms and office spaces. Plus, these have a tank capacity of 40- 60 litres.
One thing which must be confirmed while placing an air cooler is the area at which the cooler is placed. This area must have good cross ventilation that would help decrease the humidity in the area. You might complete the kind of air cooler based on the region you’re living in, the available space, and the needed tank capacity. Other features like design, portability, alarm, and humidity controller could then help you find your perfect summer partner.
Alright, reader. Hopefully, you might have understood everything regarding the topic, how to pick the right air cooler for your home. This could be that you discover the product of your needs. Now, all has been done from our end but not from yours. So, if you really appreciate our efforts, do comment below and share our piece with your loved ones. Your people might purchase a quality air cooler for their home this summer.
submitted by rays44
to u/rays44 [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:26 snicketfile I feel so guilty.
My partner(22m) and I(24f) planned on trying for a baby this year. A few days ago I found out I was pregnant. We've been wanting this for a long time. It's been a topic of discussion for over a year now. But I just feel so overwhelmed by it all for a myriad of reasons.
First of all, I wanted to control the timing. We had a big summer planned, and now I'll miss out on most of what I wanted to do. It's selfish, I know. But this trip was supposed to be my birthday and christmas present. We planned on going to fancy bars, and having fun- and me dressing up and being the "hot girl" for a night. Now, I'll be showing and bloated and nauseous.
We can't have the nursery of my dreams because we live in an apartment. We can't paint, we can't really commit to anything.
I already feel like I'm losing myself already. I'm so tired all the time I spend most of any quality time I could have with him napping. Or I'm grumpy. Or I'm emotional. This has me on edge and my partner just doesn't get anxiety.
Speaking of, I'm anxious. I'm too anxious and scared to be excited. Post birth seems horrific. Labor seems horrific. And voicing these concerns seems so dumb. I don't want to talk about anything like that with my partner, but I want his comfort so much. And if I told him I was anything less than excited it would crush him. The one time I voiced a bit of my fears he just "it's all going to be okay" but that's not what I need. Because he's nowhere close to a doctor. He has no way of knowing that!
And my job. I work night shift. Asking to move to day shift could get me moved to a 3-11 which would mean i would literally never see my partner (awake). I'm horrible at asking for things, and I feel like asking for a 7am-3pm accommodation is too much and that people would look down on me. Plus, I'm going to have to take time off and that's stressful. I expected to have this all planned out. But this was a shock. I didn't have any control.
submitted by snicketfile
to TrueOffMyChest [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:23 superrenzo64 I browsed over 10000 shirts, now I'm going to shop around in person. Any recommendations?
Imgur (sorted in descending favorites):
Although I included some designer ($$) items, I excluded a ton of others. Also, I'm going to look into tattoos as an aesthetic thing. So I'm welcoming any recommendations!
I'm planning on shopping near me at a bunch of outlets, malls, thrift stores, and typical stores like Sak's, Nordstrom Rack, H&M, Zara, Hot Topic, etc. For my DMV people, I could go to Potomac Mills, Tyson's Corner, Westfield Montgomery(s), and all of Washington DC.
I already checked out endclothing, double f, yoox, wolf & badger, the outnet, canoe club, and many more like welcome, primitive, lurking class.
Definitely enjoyed getting into the forum this week!
submitted by superrenzo64
to malefashionadvice [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:21 _BLACKHAWKS_88 ChatGBT just wrote me a funny Seinfeld finale.
The episode opens with Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer sitting in Monk's Cafe, discussing their plans for the future. Jerry mentions that he's been offered a job hosting a talk show in Los Angeles, but he's not sure if he wants to take it. George reveals that he's decided to pursue his dream of becoming a successful businessman and is starting his own company, while Elaine is thinking of going back to school to study psychology.
Kramer suddenly bursts in, out of breath and excitedly announces that he's just won the lottery. The gang is stunned, and Kramer can barely contain his excitement as he rants about all the things he's going to buy with his winnings.
As they are leaving the cafe, they run into Newman, who tells them that he's leaving New York and moving to a small town in Maine. He admits that he's always been jealous of their close friendship and that he's envious of the meaningful relationships they've built with each other.
Later, the gang decides to spend the day together, doing all their favorite New York activities. They visit the Empire State Building, eat hot dogs on the street, and take a horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park.
As the day winds down, they end up at the coffee shop where they first met years ago. There, they reminisce about all the good times they've had together, and Jerry delivers a heartfelt monologue about the importance of friendship and the memories they've shared.
The episode ends with the gang standing outside the coffee shop, looking up at the New York City skyline. They all share a group hug, and the camera pans out to show the city lights twinkling in the background as the screen fades to black.
In this finale, the focus is on the power of friendship and the nostalgia of saying goodbye to a place that holds so many memories. It celebrates the bonds between the characters and their shared experiences, providing a satisfying conclusion to the beloved sitcom.
submitted by _BLACKHAWKS_88
to seinfeld [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:11 autotldr ‘City killer’ asteroid to pass harmlessly between Earth and moon
This is the best tl;dr I could make, original
reduced by 42%. (I'm a bot)
An asteroid big enough to wipe out a city will pass harmlessly between Earth and the moon's orbit this weekend, missing both, while providing scientists a chance to study the object close up. Summary Source FAQ Feedback Top keywords: asteroid#1 Earth#2 close#3 chance#4 moon#5
Asteroid flybys are common but Nasa said it was rare for one so big to come so close and that events like this occurred only about once a decade.
Discovered a month ago, the asteroid known as 2023 DZ2 will pass within 515,000km of the moon on Saturday US time and, several hours later, fly past the Earth at about 28,000km/h.
At less than half the distance from here to the moon, the asteroid will be visible through binoculars and small telescopes.
Astronomers with the International Asteroid Warning Network see it as good practice for planetary defence if and when a dangerous asteroid is discovered that could hit Earth, according to Nasa.
The asteroid won't be back our way again until 2026.
Post found in /worldnews, /space, /telescopefeed, /RedditSample and /viral.
NOTICE: This thread is for discussing the submission topic. Please do not discuss the concept of the autotldr bot here.
submitted by autotldr
to autotldr [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:02 abysmalrotoscoping How can I contribute more to my marriage?
I feel that my marriage is super imbalanced and I’d like to change that.
My husband is 20 years older than me and makes 10x as much money as I’ve ever made previously in my life. I have never contributed a dime financially to our marriage as I was recently unemployed due to Covid when we married. I’ve never worked since we’ve been together.
I also was not just poor but a poor single mom with a bunch of financial and legal issues. He covered everything without raising an eyebrow. My kids have opportunities I could never have dreamed of for them and my lifestyle went from destitute and miserably stressful to relaxing and luxurious. Like, taking the city bus to dumpy cockroach apartment, to traveling in first class to summer in Europe type of difference.
So on top of this massively imbalanced dynamic, here is what he contributes:
- spends as much spare time with our baby as possible, is a super hands on dad, practically races me to get her for nighttime wakeups because he loves to spend time with her, takes her out on errands multiple times a week so I can rest and sleep in
- completely handles all finances and planning. I have 2 credit cards and i use them and that’s it. I don’t have the bank logins or anything. Occasionally he’ll tell me we need to slow down spending this month, or that he wishes I’d consulted him about a large purchase, but otherwise he just handles everything. He also handles vacations and insurance and home and car expenses and bills and investments. He has said he wishes I were more involved as a partner in these areas but I honestly don’t even know where to begin since he currently covers it all and has his own systems that I don’t understand / aren’t how I work.
- handles all “man” type tasks around the house. fixing things, yard, trash, tree trimming, treating property for ticks, anything involving a ladder.
- handles most of the animal care including scheduling vet appts, hygiene etc
- thanks me and appreciates my efforts constantly
- 100% of cleaning and cooking. I don’t think he’s touched the dishwasher or washing machine or vacuum in like 9-12 months and he basically never uses the kitchen unless he wants a late night snack or something. I make him a nice dinner and either a nice breakfast or lunch which I bring to him in bed or in his office, along with his vitamins and green juices. I keep his home office fridge stocked and always have icy infused water always available. He just leaves his dishes wherever (table, nightstand, desk) and clothes on the floor and I gather them. The house is not pristine because I just can’t do that much pregnant with an infant, but at least I do enough that he doesn’t have to do anything
- large majority of childcare, monitoring health and development, stocking baby care items, planning activities and appointments, etc
- i give him a massage every single night, am always sexually available, try to run him nice baths and other pampery things
- routine easy animal care like daily feeding and walking, just not bigger things like health and bathing
- Make sure he gets more downtime than me. He plays 2 hours of video games per night in the massage chair or hot tub while I’m cleaning up
I already feel stretched thin but I am hyper aware of the imbalance every day. He wanted to hire a housekeeper and nanny but that would take away the few things I actually contribute so I’ve resisted even while overwhelmed. I tell myself I’ll be taking care of him when he’s old so I can finally like we’re more even, lol.
But in the meantime, what can I possibly do to be more of an equal partner?
submitted by abysmalrotoscoping
to Marriage [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:00 SteamieBot The Steamie - Friday 24 March 2023
submitted by SteamieBot
to glasgow [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 07:00 Upset-Ad7882 My Complete Collection as of now, let me know what you think? Been collecting for 1 year and 9 months long
2023.03.24 06:52 wokenthehive My tier list for the prompts on Hinge
This is purely my opinion (as a man seeking woman) on how I rank the current prompts available on Hinge from best to worst.
- Together we could - The best prompt to talk about what you want to do with a partner. Can't go wrong with this one. It can be both serious or humorous. Probably the best prompt overall.
- I geek out on/I go crazy for - This is where you can talk about your hobbies and passions, or anything that you love. For the "geek" prompt, it's not purely for things that are "geeky". It can be anything you love to do.
- What if I told you that/The one thing you should know about me is/Let's make sure we're on the same page about/I want someone who - These are good if someone needs to convey some sort of dealbreaker or whatever information a person feels they should be transparent or upfront about to potential matches.
- The dorkiest thing about me is - This is where you can poke fun at yourself, but it's not always easy and it can backfire if not done well.
- I won't shut up about - Similar to dorky, except with interest or hobby.
- This year, I really want to/A life goal of mine - Good way to talk about your specific goals, and makes it easy for someone to comment on. But it needs to be specific (I want to visit Yellowstone vs I want to travel more).
- We're the same type of weird if - If you have some sort of endearing quirk or knows how to convey humor, this one works well.
- You should leave a comment if - A good way to show off your own interests and passions. This is one of the recommended prompts from the aapox33's prompts guide. Helps to be specific instead of a general list of things however.
- I'm looking for - It's a straight forward prompt to talk about what you want in a partner, as long as it's not just a list of generic dating app cliches. And certainly don't talk about physical traits (height, weight), or money.
- The one thing I'd love about you is - A good topic conversation starter if you can ask a thought provoking question. Or even something more generic like music, movies, travel, whatever, or something completely silly.
The whatever prompts
- Something that's non-negotiable for me - It's the more negative cousin of "Let's make sure we're on the same page about" prompt.
- Weirdest gift I have given or received - Ok, and so what?
- A shower though I recently had - It's good only if someone is really funny in real life.
- All I ask is that you - It tends to go negative, but it's useful if a person is specifically seeking something or avoid something.
- Biggest risk I've taken - Good to talk about something you're genuinely proud of, but it can veer into humble bragging. But mostly it's just people doing stuff like bungee jumping and skydiving, or moved somewhere and knew no one.
- The way to win me over is - Either the standard dating app platitudes or something silly. Or it's the eye rolling type where a man needs to do something over the top or expensive for a woman.
- Unusual skills - Unusual is debatable. Something that is unique may not be unusual.
- My greatest strength - It's hard to get right simply. I often see people put down things related to their job, or things that are hard to quantify (kind, good communicator).
- I'll pick the topic if you start the conversation - Maybe some of you have more success with this but I never ever matched with anyone and got a date from this prompt.
- The key to my heart is - Too many things about food: "tacos!"
- My most controversial opinion - I use this one, and I think it works well only if you're not being serious. If you use this to actually talk about something truly controversial (like politics for example), then it's not appealing.
- Try to guess this about me - Too often is something about someone's ethnicity or where they came from.
- I'll brag to you to my friends if/I'll fall for you if/We'll get along if - Too many dating app cliches like "funny!", "can cook!". This should be specific about what you like or what you seek.
- I'm weirdly attracted to - A lot of what people think is weird is not weird.
- A quick rant about - Only works if it's funny. A serious rant isn't attractive.
- My BFF's take on why you should date me - Again, good if you're funny.
- I wind down by/I get myself out of a funk by/To me, relaxation is - Too often is a generic list of things like "listening to music, reading a book".
- A boundary of mine/When I need advice, I go to - Feels too serious since it's in the "self-care" category, but it could be informative if done right.
- Dating me is like/My irrational fears/If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right/I bet you can't/I recently discovered that/I'm convinced that/First round is on me if/Do you agree or disagree that/Let's debate this topic/I bet you can't/All I ask is that you/My biggest date fail/Never have I eveA shower thought I had recently/My best Dad joke/To me, relaxation is/My self-care routine is/Change my mind about - Seen some good ones, some funny ones, a lot of terrible ones. But really, these are all just whatever. It can be really great if someone is specific, creative or funny, but often times it's a one word or short answers, too generic and "list-y", there's not a lot to be learned about someone, or doesn't really lead to a conversation.
- You should not go out with me if - It's almost always negative and a laundry list of "Nots". A good use of this prompt should be more humorous.
- Typical Sunday/My simple pleasures - It's always clean sheets, farmers market, coffee, hike/walk, a "good book", music, podcast. Be specific, people!
- Most spontaneous thing I've done - "Moved last minute and know no one in new city." "Buying a plane ticket last minute to wherever." Tell me if you ever see anything that's not something these two.
- Therapy recently taught me/My therapist would say I/My last journal entry was about - I understand wanting to normalize therapy, but I think these are all TMI. Prompts are supposed to be fun or informative, and these are all too serious.
- Two truths and a lie - Humble bragging or bunch of boring stuff.
- A random fact I love is - Remember when there was a time everyone just wrote something about sea otters? The problem is this prompt doesn't talk anything about you or what you want.
- Green flags I look for - I originally thought this would be a good addition. But I've seen nothing but "kind, humorous, good communication, likes to laugh, must love dogs". In other words, all the dating app cliches. Rarely do I see anything original with this prompt.
- The hallmark of a good relationship is - Similar to "green flags" where it's all the standard dating app cliches.
- Best travel story - It's never a "best story"."I went to this country and got sick!" Okay?
- Don't hate me if - Again, it tends to skew negative. I think this is one of those prompts where it only works well if it's done with humor and a lot of people can't pull it off.
- Teach me something about - "Whatever you can!" This feels like one sided and not very reciprocal.
- I know the best spot in town for - I see too many "I don't know, I just moved here recently! Show me your spots!"
- Worse idea I've ever had/One thing I'll never do again - So many bungee jumping, something related to traveling, or skydiving. Or "joining Hinge".
- How to pronounce my name - Only if your name is unique. Anything else is unoriginal.
Trash tier prompts
- The best way to ask me out by - It's always "just ask".
- What I order for the table - Everything or fries.
- My Love Language is - Do anyone don't put "physical touch"? This should just be a vitals like zodiac signs at this point.
- Give me travel tips for - Always just a list of cities. How do I even know what specific tips people want? Do people actually match with this prompt?
These prompts are in the LGBTQ category.
- My favorite LGBTQ-owned places
- It feels affirming when others
- My favorite LGBTQ+ book is
- I connect to my community by (Anyone can use this prompt actually, and it's good if you volunteer for example and want to share that.)
- I wish I could tell the younger version of myself (Another one where anyone can use, and it's good way to tell something fun about your past.)
- I feel proudest of who I am when (Anyone can use this, and you can use this to highlight a particular passion.)
- Gender euphoria looks like
- My chosen family is the best at
- My favorite off-brand LGBTQ icon is
- The first time I knew I was gay was
Voice first prompts - women in my experience rarely use voice prompts
- I'll give you the set up, you guess the punch line
- Saying "Hi!" in as many languages as I know
- Guess the song
- Proof I have musical talent
- My favorite line from a movie
- I wish more people knew
- My best celebrity impression
- Apparently my life's soundtrack is
- The last time I cried happy tears was
- My friends ask me for advice about
- My cry-in-the-car song is
- I feel most supported when
- I hype myself up by
So that's all the current prompts available for people on Hinge. What do you all think?
submitted by wokenthehive
to hingeapp [link] [comments]
2023.03.24 06:50 online_int1208 Bats live with dozens of nasty viruses — can studying them help stop pandemics?
| || | submitted by online_int1208 to u/online_int1208 [link] [comments]
Randy Foo fills a pipette with orange juice from a bottle clearly labelled ‘For Bats ONLY’. He and his colleague Rommel Yroy are seated at a biological safety cabinet, wrapped in blue gowns and wearing face shields, gloves, scrub pants and shoe covers. Peeping out of Yroy’s clasped hands are two round, glossy black eyes, two slight, pointy ears and the furry snout of a young, male cave nectar bat (Eonycteris spelaea). It is wriggling and squealing, occasionally protruding its long, pink tongue to lick driblets of the sweet drink. This is a little treat for enduring a transfer in a blue cotton bag from its cage to the laboratory, followed by a quick weigh-in and inspection for injuries along its stretched-out wings and dense, fur coat. “The younger guys are generally a little bit more feisty,” says Foo.
The bat in Yroy’s hand is one of some 140 cave nectar bats housed in a research breeding colony in Singapore — the first in Asia. Foo, who manages the colony and is affiliated with Duke–National University of Singapore (Duke–NUS) Medical School, and Yroy, a veterinary technician at Sing Health Experimental Medicine Centre, have nurtured the bats for years. The original 19 members of the colony were caught using butterfly nets under highways around Singapore in 2015 and 2016; the first pups arrived a couple of years later.
The colony was set up by Lin-fa Wang, a virologist at Duke–NUS Medical School to create a controlled setting for studying bat biology, including the inner workings of their immune system.
For Wang, who has spent decades studying bats and infectious diseases, the colony has been a research boon, allowing him to ask questions about, for example, the cells that make up bat immune systems and how they respond to an infection. Now that the bats are breeding productively, the team’s research can be replicated more easily. They have shared bat tissue with about a dozen teams around the world. “Bats have become a hot topic,” says Wang.
Close-up of a researcher holding a cave nectar bat pup with gloved hands
Researchers at a bat colony in Singapore perform a health check on a young cave nectar Randy Foo, Duke-NUS Medical School
Wang’s research niche has become more crowded since the emergence of SARS-CoV-2. Attendance at talks and conferences about bats is rising — at one symposium hosted last year in the United States, there were 30% more participants compared with the same event organized before the pandemic — and funders are ploughing money into studies of bats and infectious diseases: in 2021, for instance, both China and the United States announced specific funding pots for research into bats and viruses.
Of particular interest is the bat immune system, especially its ability to tolerate viruses that are deadly to people and other mammals — from Ebola to Nipah and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Although bat immunity is poorly understood, its consequences are clear: bats are thought to be the source of various catastrophic viral outbreaks in humans.
The field is now at an inflection point, fuelled partly by the pandemic. Researchers who have spent decades studying infections in bats, together with enthusiastic newcomers, are developing and applying new tools to the question of how bats can live with such dangerous pathogens. Some hope that those insights could one day lead to treatments for tackling infections in people and ways to prevent viruses spilling over from bats.
“There are going to be some huge steps forward in the next two or three years in terms of bat virology and bat immunology,” says Tony Schountz, an immunologist at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.
Mangoes and melons
The bats in Wang’s colony are a precious resource, and the researchers treat them accordingly. Over the years, they have tweaked the bats’ diet and environment to keep the animals healthy. The bats enjoy fresh chopped melon, papaya and mango, powdered milk and a sweet-smelling, nectar-like liquid. A burlap sack hangs from the top of each cage to give the bats — who live in groups of about 25 — some privacy and darkness. Foo plans to introduce further enrichments when the colony moves to a facility with larger cages later this year.
“The colony has given us everything we wanted,” says Wang. His office is adorned with souvenirs collected over the years — a ‘batman’ keychain, a bat-printed mug, resin-encased bat specimens, framed drawings of bats.
The researchers have studied the bats’ genomes and the diversity of viruses the animals host. They have also used bats’ cells to develop airway organoids — mini organs grown from stem cells. Their current experiments are focused on the bats’ response to infection, their ageing process and their very active metabolism during flight. The colony is a valuable research resource.